This is my go to breakfast when I have a busy week ahead and I want to be organised. It is healthy, easy to make and can be prepared on a Sunday afternoon for a weeks worth of brekky!
You can really use up whatever you have in your fridge for this recipe especially vegetables like beetroot, spinach, kale, zucchini, carrot and broccoli. As well as flavouring it with ingredients like olives, goats cheese, herbs, spices. It is definitely one of those recipes that once you have the base down pat you can add anything! It is a good way to get some vegetable servings into your first meal of the day as well as healthy fats and proteins.
- 8 eggs
- 2 rashes bacon (optional)
- 1/2 zucchini
- 4 broccoli florets
- 1 small beetroot
- handful of spinach
- 3 tbsp of goat's cheese (optional)
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 stalks of coriander (and/or parsley, basil, chives)
- salt & pepper
*You can choose how green you want to go by substituting different amounts of vegetables
- Pre heat oven to 150 degrees, fan forced. Line quiche tray/ or I use a large baking tray with baking paper to make at least 8 to 10 decent servings.
- Finely chop onion, garlic, coriander, bacon and spinach.
- Finely grate zucchini, broccoli, beetroot (so they don't have a strong flavour, great for kids!)
- Crack eggs into a bowl, add in all ingredients and mix together, add salt and pepper to taste.
- If the mixture is to thick with veg because you chose to add a lot just whisk in another egg or two!
- Pour mix into lined tray and cook for 20 to 30 minutes (until brown, check with a knife that inside of frittata is cooked through)
- Let the frittata cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or separate into separate containers for the week ahead.
Note: this frittata is great for brekky with avocado or lunch with salad.